Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Grady's Story


We went into the hospital around 8:30.  The nurses (who were awesome) prepped me for surgery and took the time to help calm my nerves.  By 10:00 I was in the operating room.  It all went so fast.  The doctor and nurses were all amazing - talking to me and making me feel good.  I felt some pressure in my chest and then out came Grady at 10:21.  They all commented about how he was a big boy, but he looked perfect.  He didn't cry real loud, but made a little whimper and was brought over to a nurse to be cleaned up.  It was great because where she was working was actually in my line sight so I didn't have to wait another 30 plus minutes just to see him.  I was overwhelmed at seeing him.  His cheeks were so chubby and he had that dark hair like Leon did.  I was already in love with him.  They cleaned him up, wrapped him up, and then Kyle was able to bring him over to me for a closer look but of then they had to take him away.  He was having some breathing problems (fluid in the lungs) which I guess is common in ceseran babies.  Then I was having some issues - I got dizzy and told them I thought I was going to get sick right there on the operating table.  The anatigolist gave me something for the nausea and after a couple minutes of gripping Kyle's hand as hard as I could it was over.  They decided to send Grady to the NICU.  They stitched me up (no stables - horaay!) and sent me on my way to the recovery area for observation.  I spent most of the next two hours by myself.  Kyle visited me a couple of times, the nurse kept me company, and then my dad and Claudette (his wife) came.  After about an hour of Grady being in the NICU he was fine but the peditrician said they wanted to keep him a little longer just to make sure.  They took me to the post partum room where I visited with my dad and Claudette.   Kyle stayed with Grady.  Around 2:00 (the time I thought Grady would be able to come to me), Kyle came in and said they wanted to keep Grady for another two hours!  At that point, I was mad and frustrated and heart broken.  I wanted to hold him SO BAD.  I sent dad and Claudette to see their new grandson.  I tried to rest but between the itching (a side effect of the drugs) and my restlessness to see my baby which we still hadn't named, I just couldn't. So, I made phone calls to my family.  Finally at 4:30 - 6 hours after he was born- they finally brought him in.  I had my baby!  I nursed him, we talked about names, and things were perfect.  I had my baby!



I'm still overwhelmed with feelings of gratitude and love.  I'm a mother of two beautiful little boys.  We're a family of four.  Motherhood, parenthood is such a beautiful gift.  Grady is the sweetest thing.  I'll write more about him when I post his newborn photos.  I just am just so in love with him

*****

Here are some other pics, taken with our little point and shoot, of our weekend in the hospital.

Waiting for the big operation

Grady getting some extra help


Look at those cheeks!

Daddy and Grady in NICU

Papa and Claudie


They're goofballs!

Grandma Allen

Grandpa Allen

Nana.  Mom bought be the prettiest autumn floral arrangement while at the hospital.

Big Brother (of course he's picking his nose) and daddy took a break to get a snack

5 comments:

  1. my goodness, he is adorable. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally beautiful:) the story and the pics! He's ADORABLE!! I love that he looks so much like his big brother. I can't even imagine how long those 6 hrs of waiting to hold him must have felt like:( So glad he's home now where you can hold him as much as you like:) Love you all <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heavens, those cheeks!! I'm glad everything went well and the NICU stint was short.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so, so cute! What cute chubby cheeks! I hope all is going well for you Kelly, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Kelly. He's adorable. Have fun getting to know him outside the womb. =)

    ReplyDelete