Monday, August 30, 2010

Tim

Last Tuesday evening, I got a message saying the my photography professor from Purdue had passed away from a terrible car accident.  I was completely shocked and immediately struck with grief and overwhelmed with tears. 

I can't even to begin to tell you how much Tim Fuller meant to me.  He meant a lot to all of us.  I had Tim for 6 out of my 9 studio classes.  By my Junior year of college, he was the photography department - he ran everything.  He did so much for us, sacrificed so much of his time and sanity for us. He was who we went to for all our questions.  He had a hand in all my work, helping me develop it and make it better.  He mentored me.  He gave me the kind of encouragement that I really needed, the kind that not many others ever or could ever give me.  He knew I was good.  It meant the world to me that somebody recognized that.  He was an amazing teacher.  It seriously was amazing how good he was at what he did.  I don't know if you remember me writing about getting offered a "full ride" back to do my masters, but he was the professor who was giving me that wonderul opportunity.

I wish I had told him all that - how important he was to me and all of us. 

I went to a memorial for him this last Saturday.  I was able to tell his family what an amazing teacher he was.  They had some of his art work out.  He rarely ever showed us his work.  I knew he was a good photographer, but I don't think I ever realized how AMAZING his images were.  I stood there is awe of them.  I was able to see pictures of him with his family when we was young.  He was so handsome.  He was so lively too.  I smiled so big as I saw the snapshots of him in the 70's with his big, thick, dark mustache and this trucker hat that had "TIM" written in big letter across it.  I've been so heartbroken over it this last week and getting to talk to his family and see all those images was such a comfort - such a sweet way for me to remember him. 

I'm sure many of you don't understand how I could be so attached to a professor.  He will forever have a place with me.  Tim Fuller was an amazing teacher and friend. He changed my life, my way of thinking, my way of looking at things. Thank you Tim for the things you taught me about photography and life. I'll never forget you. You mean so much to so many of us, especially me - you made such a difference in my life.  I wish I had told you sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment