Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Right where I'm supposed to be

     

Last week, I received a call from my photography teacher from Purdue (who is now the director of the photography department).  He offered me an amazing opportunity.  He was giving me the chance to go back to school to get my Masters in Fine Arts with a teacher's assistanceship which means I wouldn't have to pay a dime AND I would get payed for teaching.  He said he knew my work and my work ethic and he knew he could trust me to be a great teacher.  Amazing, right?  Pretty much the perfect offer, ever.  I've always wanted to someday go back and get my MFA.

While he was telling me about this amazing offer, I automatically knew in the back of my mind what my answer would be - No.  It's funny how instinctive the answer came to me.  However,  I didn't say "no" right away.  I told him I'd have to think about it and get back to him.  When Kyle got home, I told him all about it.  He was kind of blown away, I think.  He knew it was a great offer.  We decided we should probably pray and really consider everything before we made a decision (since it was such a great offer). 

That night as we were saying our family prayer, Leon (who doesn't understand the concept of praying yet or the fact that you sit still for it) was running around like usual.  Right as I was praying about what I should do, he came up and gave me the sweetest hug and a big sloppy kiss.  I was completely overwhelmed at that moment.  That was all I needed.  I knew what the answer was - a definite "No".

I know where I'm supposed to be and that's right here - home with my family taking care of them.  I really feel, more than ever, that is what I'm supposed to be doing.  I know that's what the Lord wants for me, for us.  I finally feel like I am in good place.  I'm feeling like myself again.  And it feels so good to really know all of that.  I'm so so grateful for that knowledge.


5 comments:

  1. What a great gift! Moments like that are so comforting, aren't they? You're a great gal, Kelly, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I definitely feel much more like myself now that I can stay home all the time and give the time to my family they need. What a great feeling, huh? That's awesome that they called YOU and offered a full ride though! I'm jealous! ;) Kent still needs to find some kind of assistantship for next year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, that is such an awesome offer!! You are a real stand-out and now you know that others know it too!
    I love those moments of personal revelation, that assurance that you are doing what is right for you and yours. How great that Heavenly Father doesn't leave us to go through life blindly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I just stumbled on your blog from Kris', and I really loved this post (and especially the picture) and though I ought to tell you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete