Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Grandma Gloria


This is a photograph of my grandma Gloria.  I love these old photographs of her.  She died this last February from pancreatic cancer.  I didn't know this grandma very well.  She lived in Florida most of my life and I only saw her once or twice a year.  However, I did know her well enough to know she was a kind, giving women who really, really loved and cared for her family.  I'm so glad that I do know that about her.  She moved to Indiana for about two years about a couple of year ago and then she moved back to Florida.  While she was here, I found it really easy to talk to her.  I loved her for that.  I don't remember the conversations, but I remember those moments of sitting in the living room and talking away.  I'm pretty sure she was pretty proud of me, not to sound conceded, but I think she was - which is also nice to know.

 A couple of Saturdays ago, my mother and I went down to Missouri for a memorial service in her memory at a family reunion.  It's funny, I don't really feel like she's gone, that she died.  It's more like it's always been - I just won't get to see her because she's so far away.  I thought going to the memorial service would give me some closure and that's pretty much the only reason  why I went.  Maybe I don't need it - I know she's not suffering (thank goodness).  I know she's happy.  I know she's in heaven, and that's all I need to know. 

I love you Grandma Gloria.  I'll be seeing you.




1 comment:

  1. I could tell she was a very sweet lady from the small time I knew her. I didn't realize it was the memorial service you were going to when you went to Missouri. Kent wanted me to tell you to bring your suits on Saturday in case you guys (well, maybe Kyle and Leon) wanted to swim (and we could go shopping!). See you then!

    ReplyDelete